Steps To Take When Seeking Compensation For Injuries Your Child Sustained In A Car Accident

Are you thinking about hiring an attorney due to an accident or personal injury? Learn more about what to expect from the process.

Steps To Take When Seeking Compensation For Injuries Your Child Sustained In A Car Accident

13 January 2017
 Categories: , Blog

A car accident can be a traumatic event at any time when you're driving, but when your child is a passenger in the vehicle and is injured, it can be a  parent's worst nightmare. If it is found that the other driver is at fault for the car accident, his or her insurance company will be responsible for paying for your child's medical expenses and possibly for any pain and suffering. But getting an insurance company to offer a fair settlement for a minor child can be difficult. Take the following steps to seek compensation for your child's car accident injuries:

Hire a Car Accident Attorney

Securing a settlement for your minor child can be complicated, and it isn't something that you should try to do on your own. In this type of situation, it is in your best interest, as well as that of your child, to hire an experienced car accident attorney. Your car accident attorney will understand how to work with the insurance company to come to a settlement, and if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, a lawsuit can be filed.

File a Lawsuit as Legal Guardian

When an insurance company won't cooperate, your attorney can file a lawsuit on behalf of your child, with you serving as the legal guardian. Just because a lawsuit is filed doesn't necessarily mean that you will go to court-- in many cases, the insurance company will settle this type of case before the court date. But, if the lawsuit does go to trial you will need to present all evidence that you have pertaining to the accident and your child's injuries. Your attorney will most likely ask for the evidence in advance so he or she can prepare for court.

Minor's Compromise Petition

Whether the insurance company settles or your lawyer wins a settlement on your child's behalf in court, a minor's compromise petition will have to be drawn up. This type of document outlines how much the insurance company has agreed to give your child, where the money will be kept in trust, and the name of the trustee of the account. The petition may also stipulate how much of the money is to go towards medical expenses, and how much of the settlement has to go towards attorney fees. Your child can take care control of the money left in trust when he or she reaches the age of majority. 

Click this link to learn more about your options.

About Me
Important Questions Answered About Hiring Accident Attorneys

Hi, my name is Sarah Reynolds, and if you have questions about hiring an accident and personal injury attorney, you'll find the answers here. A few years ago, my husband was involved in an accident at work, and we decided to hire an attorney. Through this process, I learned so much about the legal system and why it's important to have an attorney on your side. The paperwork is overwhelming in itself, and it was hard for my husband and I to understand all the legal jargon. If you're thinking about hiring an attorney due to an accident or personal injury, you should first read my blog. I wanted others to learn this information beforehand, so they'll know what to expect when hiring an attorney and so they'll know the importance of legal representation.